The Salvation Army was founded in Vincennes, Indiana in 1907. After a hundred years and two location changes, the Army’s presence is still bold, still strong, and still serving in that community.
On Saturday, August 23, the corps, under the leadership of Captains Justin and Sarah Windell, organized a block party to celebrate it’s legacy in Vincennes and also pay tribute to the neighbors, friends, and community they daily support.
Among the neighbors and friends who stopped by the free community event were the Indiana Divisional Brass Band, which provided a traditional Salvation Army musical backdrop; Majors Dick and Vicki Amick, Divisional Leaders who sang a special duet; Luke Hursh, who led the crowd in praise and worship choruses; volunteers from Vincennes University, who ran the various carnival games, bounce houses, and activities; and members of the Vincennes Corps, who all filled in where necessary and were ready to share the impact The Salvation Army has had on them in their hometown. The corps served free hot dogs, popcorn, chips, soda and cake throughout the afternoon.
Mayor Al Baldwin proclaimed the day in honor of The Salvation Army. “The City [of Vincennes] is always appreciative of organizations like The Salvation Army who are committed to its citizens,” said Baldwin. In the proclamation, it was mentioned that one of the original locations of the corps was sold to help expand the nearby Vincennes University. Today, the corps sits at the corner of Second and Minneapolis, just off of Indiana Highway 61.
For more about what The Salvation Army is doing in communities all over Indiana, check out our locations page.